The library belongs to the community, and nowhere is that more true than in our volunteer program. Our library was founded by volunteers. In 1983, an ad in the local paper brought 68 people to a meeting to plan a library. Subsequent ads brought in donations of tens of thousands of books which were sorted and either sold or cataloged for the burgeoning collection.
When the library eventually opened in the Texas Commerce Bank building in 1984, it was a volunteer staff and a single part-time Director, Beth Fox, who ran the library. They did everything: checking materials in and out, shelving, labeling and covering new materials, cataloging, holding story time, and round-the-calendar fund-raising.
Our first library building, opened in 1989, was planned and funded by volunteer efforts. Volunteers led the efforts to get library district legislation passed in 1997, and to create a library district for Westbank in 1998, which finally gave us steady funding from sales tax.
Still our volunteers did not rest! They continued to work every day in our busy library while the raised funds and planned an expansion of the library to 15,000 square feet. And when that was finished in 2000, planning began for Laura’s Library, which was opened in 2009.
- They welcome you to the library.
- They help you check out books.
- They keep the shelves orderly so you can find what you are looking for.
- They cover books and put audio books in handy cases.
- They sort your book donations and run the book sale room.
- They assist with programs and prepare craft activities.
- They serve on the Friends Board, organizing our Artisan’s Market, bake sales, and Veterans brick sales.
- They run programs like chess, Qi Gong, language programs, genealogy, and book clubs.
- They make quilts for the annual raffle.
- They help you with technology.
- They help with our gardens and trail.
- They build things like sandboxes, playhives, and garden beds.
- They serve on the Board of Trustees.
The next time you stop by the library, thank a volunteer for helping to make this such a great library! We simply couldn’t do all we do without them.