Internet access at Westbank Community Library and Laura Bush Community Library is provided as a public service to allow access to information beyond our collections. The Library can only assume responsibility for the information provided on the Library’s website.
- Evaluation of material obtained from the Internet is the responsibility of the user. Some Internet sites carry sexually explicit information and other information resources that library visitors may find controversial or inappropriate. Not all sites on the Internet provide accurate, complete, or current information.
- Restriction of a child’s access to the Internet is the responsibility of the parent or guardian. The Library does not have the right or responsibility to act in loco parentis. For more information on children and the Internet, see A Parent’s Guide to Internet Safety (opens new window) produced by the FBI.
- The library is required to implement Internet filtering as a condition of funding, which is provided in part by the Universal Access charge that we all pay on our phone bills. We do so by using OpenDNS (a service designed for this purpose). We have configured OpenDNS to filter at the lowest level – this should block most explicit porn and child porn.
- §43.22 of the Texas Penal Code prohibits the intentional or knowing display of obscene photograph, drawing, or visual representation, while being reckless about whether a person is present who will be offended or alarmed by the display.
- §43.24 of the Texas Penal Code prohibits the display of harmful material, defined in the law similarly to indecent material under federal law, if the displayer is reckless about whether a minor is present who will be offended or alarmed by the display.
Using Our Computers
When operating fully, the Library offers 10 public Internet workstations at the Westbank location and 12 public Internet workstations at Laura's Library. Wifi access is available for all guests and there is no password to access. Your cooperation in following these guidelines is appreciated:
- Please choose a workstation that displays a green "Available" display on the screen.
- Please let staff know if you need help finding information or if the computer needs tending.
- Printing is available at each location, $.05 for black and white and $.50 for color. The default printer is the black & white printer.
- If you wish to save any documents you create, you will need to save them to a USB drive or email the document to yourself. No documents will be saved on the computer after you log off.
- Please log out when you finish so that the computer you are using returns to the log in screen.
The Library reserves the right to terminate the Internet access privileges of any person abusing these policies and procedures. Serious abuses may result in a temporary or permanent ban from the library. Please see our Code of Conduct.