2022 marks 150 years of continuous public education in the Eanes area. This fall, our Eanes History Group is tracing the history of our public schools from the first log cabin school founded by Robert Eanes to the rock schoolhouse (still in use on the Eanes Elementary campus) to the current nationally rated school district.
Group presentations are held the first Monday of each month at 11:30am at Westbank Library and online.
- Celebrate 150 Years of Public Education in Eanes – presentation by Ellen Balthazar
- 50 years of Westlake High School – panel of former students
- History of West Ridge Middle School – current student presentation
- History of Westlake High School – alumni Scott McCullogh and Rex Hoover share the school’s historical foundations for excellence
- Toody Bird speaks at the 40th anniversary of the high school (hilarious!)
- Keynote address from first District Superintendent Dr. Don Rogers (3/10/88) on the history of Eanes education
Learn more about local history:
- Watch all recorded Eanes History Group presentations – includes presentations on Cedar Choppers, West Lake Beach, Wild Basin, Bloomhouse, a driving tour of historical points of interest, St. Stephen’s, and more
- Watch oral histories of local residents
- Early Eanes photos and documents have been digitized and can be accessed through our library catalog.
- Read Eanes: Portrait of a Community by Linda Vance and Dorothy Depwe online.
- EISD history page and Eanes History Center