Click here to join Education Conversations, a live virtual discussion group happening 1st and 3rd Thursdays at 6pm.
Iris Chen will join the Feb 17 Education Conversations meeting discussing her book Untigering.
Iris Chen is a writer, unschooler, and founder of the Untigering movement. After starting out as a hardcore tiger mother, she began to untiger when she saw all the negative effects of her authoritarian parenting. Now she’s on a mission to empower others to untiger by promoting peaceful parenting and educational freedom for children, especially among Asian communities. She spent 16 years living overseas in China (land of the tiger parent!), but now resides in her native California with her husband and two sons. You can read more about her adventures in parenting and unschooling at www.untigering.com
Westbank Libraries’ Parenting and Education Conversations touches upon topics in parenting and education, with a focus on the psychology that informs our approach to raising and teaching children in grades K-12. Participants engage in lively discussions on the topic, and we encourage educators and parents to attend to offer multiple perspectives and voices.
Book club titles for 2022:
- January: Upstream: The Quest to Solve Problems Before They Happen by Dan Heath
- February: Untigering: Peaceful Parenting for the Deconstructing Tiger Parent by Iris Chen
- March: Humankind: A Hopeful History by Rutger Bregman
- April: The Playful Classroom: The Power of Play for All Ages by Jed Dearybury
- May: How Not to Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking by Jordan Ellenberg
- June: Wonder by R.J. Palacio
- July: When You Wonder, You’re Learning: Mister Rogers’ Enduring Lessons for Raising Creative, Curious, Caring Kids by Gregg Behr
Please check the calendar for book selection updates.
Antonio Buehler founded Abrome to fundamentally change the way the world views education. He wants society to reject the notion that education should be a standardized product in which children are expected to be passive recipients of instruction that is chosen and delivered by adults. Antonio wants learners to be able to direct their own education so they can live rich, fulfilling lives. He believes that by providing learners with the opportunity to take full ownership of their education, Abrome will help save millions of lives, and in the process change the world.
Antonio earned a B.S. in Systems Engineering from the United States Military Academy, an M.B.A. from Stanford University, and an Ed.M. from Harvard University.
Please read these ground rules ahead of the conversation:
- Please keep your camera on for the discussion and provide your name.
- Mute if there is background noise.
- Respect the privacy of others by not reporting what you hear in this conversation with any specificity or attribution.
- Be respectful and listen when others are speaking.
- Allow everyone’s voice to be heard that wants to be heard.